Thursday, July 19, 2012

If ya liked it, then ya shoulda put ya name on it.

They say that people love the sound of their own name. In conversation, it's so much nicer to hear someone address you by your name like "How are you today, Jennifer?" vs. just "How are you?" Something about that makes it all the more personal. With this being said, one of the most attractive things to me in design is monogramming. Yes, it's been a little overdone in clothing/bags. (Think your friend from college who just had a baby that's sporting a Lily Pulitzer monogrammed dress, monogrammed diaper cover, monogrammed pacifer, mongrammed bow in her non-existent hair.... etc. BARF.) Just like good spices, use sparingly and the monogram will go a long way. It's personal, clean, and reminds you of that beautiful name you were given. It can be a strong as to evoke an ownership to a room; you come home and lay down on your bedding. All in all, monogramming is where it's at. If you don't believe me, take a look at these beautiful examples: 


i.love.this. the piping is just right, and the monogram adds so much life, especially against the contrasting fabric behind it. in love!
image via mackenzie horan


a little chinoiserie+a little monogramming. good look.
image via mmr interiors


bangin'.
image via kristen davis


perfect combination of color. metallic gold monogram is a bonus.
image via adore magazine


perfect man-gift:::::enough
image via west elm


traditional
image via the coverteur


monogrammed tray makes a perfect wedding gift
image via prepitude


LOVE this combination
source unknown (anyone recognize this?) 

So, to continue on the path of insanity with home DIYs, I think I'm going to make my own monogrammed pillow shams this weekend. With any luck, I'll have 1.5 hours to dedicate to this between my roommate's family coming in from out of town, a wedding, helping with a garage sale, church, etc. Breathe in, breathe out. I called the people I usually use to do my small monogramming, and they just don't have the layout or size that I want. After a little research this morning, I found a few sites that offered tips on DIY monogramming. This way, it will be completely custom. I've found that I've become accustomed to doing things my way, and not the way that it's already been done. That roughly translates as I'm hardheaded,  spending millions of hours doing things "my way", and I'm tired all the time. Well, I'm good with that. 

Effortless style, a wonderful blog written by Mackenzie Horan, has a great tutorial on DIY applique monograms. The link is here. I'm going to put my own spin on it, and I'll show you what I come up with. My bed is white and navy, and my walls are artichoke green. I'm really wanting some pink/orange in there. Decisions, decisions. 




"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment