Friday, February 10, 2012

The Telltale Signs

Here are the telltale signs that I have been busy at work at something I love:


1. I have a House Beautiful magazine that's been sitting on my coffee table unread for a week
2. I have an Elle Decor magazine that's been sitting on my coffee table unread for a week and a half
3. My phone buzzes roughly every 5 minutes, and each time I have a little fear to look at it.
4. This one is the last, and worst, one...me and Marley have been sitting here at my desk cuddled in this leopard blanket for an hour before we had to get up. 


One thing has remained true over the last month and a half... sleep comes SO easy at night, but I find myself waking up extra early with ideas. And if you know anything about early morning ideas, you better not go back to sleep. They'll surely be gone in dream world if you don't get up and write them down immediately! I will say though, this crazy early schedule has been making it easier to get everything done each day. So, you're probably wondering why I'm so busy all the sudden? I've been meaning to blog about this for quite some time, but we are participating in The Next Cool Event 2012. This is an amazing event that brings some of the most creative minds in the Atlanta area together (scary, huh?) and gets bigger and better every year. I am so blessed to be a part of this, and am so excited! But along with that excitement is a teeeeeeeny bit of stress. We have to balance our regular clients, as well as work on everything we need to happen for the event. I'll explain a little about what we've been up to. 


First and foremost, we needed a space. It just so happened that Modern Luxury magazine had a  lounge space that didn't have any furniture and didn't have any designers. Hmm.. we know about a million furniture stores we love, and...oh yeah, we're designers! So...first things first. We need to know what we have to work with. The only thing Modern Luxury wanted of theirs in the space were four beautiful posters of upcoming issues of 4 of their magazines, Men's Book, Jezebel, The Atlantan, and Atlanta Bride. These are all wonderful local magazines, and some of our favorite locals and places are pictured in there every month.  Secondly, we need to fill up this space with some furniture! Felipe from Direct Furniture off Howell Mill was kind and crazy enough to let us borrow enough furniture to full our space, which is approximately 40'x50'. Umm..heart attackkkkkkkk. It's so large, it still kind of scares me to say it aloud. Anyway, the process of picking the right furniture was long but fun. We picked this furniture a month ago, though, so we are running back in this morning to make sure that anything we picked hasn't been sold off the floor. If it has, we will have to pick replacements. So...prayers please! Then came the ceiling issue: no chandeliers. We are working in an older building, and it would just be too complicated. So... hanging mobiles, that's all I'm saying. Good, old-fashioned working your fingers to the bone, literally. No hints about that though, you'll just have to wait and see. The flooring at the Expo Center is black and white checkerboard VCT. Not the best palette, but certainly not the worst. So, we've teamed with the amazing and ever helpful FLOR off Howell Mill to help us out. They've let us design our own rugs on their website and then placed an order for those exact tiles so we'd get them in plenty of time for the event. Going to pick those up today too...prayers please! So, the furniture is a neutral palette, so we needed a POP. Custom pillows are being made as we speak for our space. I was introduced to an amazing seamstress who let me sneak into her workroom and pull some fabrics/trim for our pillows. Those will be done Monday, and I can't WAIT to see the finished product. The last part comes in the accessories. This is the part that I'm obsessing over. The budget is seriously small, so they will definitely be DIY, no question. In my world, accessories are what makes it or breaks it. So....wish me luck on my hunt today! I have a couple hours after me errands this morning and meetings this afternoon, so I'll be on the prowl.  


I've been toying back and forth with the idea of showing the rendering I did of the space, but I think I'll save that for a few days beforehand. Can't give away too much too fast! I am literally just bubbling with excitement-- I'm sure everyone around me has had just about enough! I can't thank the people enough who are helping us fill our space with beautiful pieces and trusting us to make this design go down without a hitch. Here's the best part: I was able to get tickets for some of my favorite people to come on Friday night for Red Carpet Cocktails. Because we're all so busy, it's hard to even steal away a minute and a half to go grab dinner or drinks. So here's our chance, and I am pretty sure there are a couple that I'm going to knock down with hugs..so be prepared. Stay tuned for more about the event...and I'll show you a few little details each day...




Seven Days and Counting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment