Thursday, February 9, 2012

Have you voted yet?

So...I thought this post posted about 2 weeks ago, but apparently not! Shows you how long I've been out of the loop, eh? Anywho, this contest has now ended and a winner has been chosen (not one of my favorites!) but...I'm still posting this. 


I was looking on my facebook today, and noticed Grange Furniture's post about their charity design contest. I friended them back in September when Erin Gates of Elements of Style blog entered in a virtual vignette contest with them. Her vignette rocked it, but I also loved the Stylebeat board. Check them all out here. Anyway, they are having a contest in which designers (and design enthusiasts) can design a new finish for an existing piece of Grange furniture. Check them all out here.

Here are my top two:
holy graphic.


fauz bois is my homeboy.



I love both...but I'm going for the:

                                                 ‘Faux Bois Beaute’
Dayna Flory, Rariden Schumacher Mio & Company
Troy, Michigan 

Go vote today..75% of proceeds go to their charity of choice!



Anyway, my original topic for today was supposed to be about lighting. We have recently had a client come to us with a restaurant renovation. The current place is drab and bare, but it has so much potential! With a little rebranding and design love, this place is going to be a beaut! Of course, once we originally found out about this project, I ran to Pinterest and Etsy to find ideas. Vintage Americana was an original thought, although we've now switched gears a little. But look at this awesome industrial lights I found on Etsy, they're so easy and most of them are well priced. If you are super DIY like I am, then you can get a general idea and duplicate. I'm thinking like Design*Spongeish, ya know? (PS, my amazing friend spotted this book on major sale at B&N...and it now belongs to me. Love her for that!) Here are a few DIY ones from D*S:


HELLO! Right above my dining table is where you belong. 

We've all seen these everywhere. And guess what? I don't care. Still love em! 

Although I'm not a fan of the chosen art behind the sconces, I love the idea of framing some bangin' wallpaper or prints and hanging sconces as a centerpiece. 


Now here are the ones I dig at Etsy:


via clarksallpurpose on etsy
i.love.this.i.want.this.
via dirtysbils on etsy
keepin' it simple.
via vintagebarnlights on etsy
looking good in a group of three.
via junkyardlighting on etsy


Do any of these inspire you to roll up your sleeves and get all down, dirty, and DIY? They do for me! Now I just have to figure out how to not be terrified when messing around with electricity. I don't see that happening anytime soon, though. So, I'll make the light and someone can hang it and make it turn on. Sounds good! 


                                                             
xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment