Friday, October 28, 2011

It's a JA world, and we just live in it.

So, today I had to return some overdue library books before cleaning for our guests that are arriving tonight (exciting!) One of the books I checked out what Jonathan Adler's My Prescription for Antidepressive Living.  I adore JA, and this book is pretty genius. I used to use JA for ideas frequently in design school, and when I saw this brand new shiny book, I had to pick it up! It has wonderful, full color images and some brilliant words to live by. One of the things I'm most inspired by is his transparency. He just tells it like it is, and if you know me, that's my style too :)

He loves color, pattern, and all things funky.  As do I, as do I! Take a look at his



Aren't these amazing?? Here's my take:

1. Quit being boring and safe! All beige=safe. Although it's beautiful in some settings, it won't make you happy. Let me rephrase that, it wouldn't make me happy. I love an all white room, but there has got to be some kind of interest in the objects you choose to adorn it with. Not necessarily color or pattern, but interest. Let a room have layers of interest to lead the eye up and down, left and right.

2. Who would have thought? DUH! If you can feel luxurious in a hotel because of the opulent surroundings, why not do the same in your home? Every room doesn't have to be that way, but why not your bedroom or a sitting room? Treat yourself like a star in your own home...it is yours afterall, isn't it?

3. X-benches speak for themselves. Actually, any benches do. Multipurposeful and wonderful!

4. AGREE AGREE AGREE! I love monogramming or anything personalized. I don't think there is ever too much! It makes a home feel like a home. I mean, isn't it weird when you walk into someone's home with kids and you see none of their art up? Hang those crazy drawings up, people!

5. My thought on this-- be chic, but comfy! It's okay to have a white, hard, absolutely uncomfortable couch in a sitting room- but for Heaven's sakes.... please have a deep, cushy sofa in your living room for all to rest on!

6. It's always a wonderful to learn about another designer and what makes them tick. We could spend hours learning about others, and therefore influence and refine our own design taste.

7. This is the only way murder is okay, right??

8. Orange is a favorite of mine (hence my orange velvet-like sofa in my living room.) It brings a room alive.

9. We used to play beer pong on my Midcentury teak dining table in college, does that count? Of course- it was covered with many table cloths and seriously protected because it's my baby!

10. Make your home the one to be coveted. And better yet, if you use a designer, recommend them to that neighbor and you can both admire each other's homes!



A couple other pieces of wisdom compliments of my boy JA in his manifesto:

"We believe tassels are the earrings of a home."
"We believe handcrafted tchotchkes  are life-enhancing."
"We believe in being underdressed or overdressed always."
"We believe you should throw out your Blackberry and go pick some actual blackberries."
"We believe in irreverent luxury."



Check back on Monday for a nursery image board I've compiled based on his Ten Commandments, and his products of course!


Have a spooky and boo-tiful weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment